Need help with your blog?

If you are just starting out blogging and don't want to wait a year or more to become popular (yes is can take that long and longer) I have a few tips and links for some very good technical information. As you blog you find that you need to be able to get visitors to read your blog. Without visitors you are just talking to yourself, and if that is what you want then so be it, but most of us want attention. Along with visitors and lots of them, you can make a decent living off of the advertising you can put on your blog, just like the magazines do, except you are paperless. I have had a blog over at wordpress for about a year now. It has taken that long to get to a Google PR (page rank) of 4. Along with that I have about 250-350 visitors a day and I get awards for my blog. Unfortunately wordpress.com does not allow you to put any type of advertising on their free blogs. So I have a very popular blog that makes me no money at all - sniff. I write a post on it about once every 3-4 days.

Thank goodness for blogger.com, here I can make money with my blog - and I do, but not so much with this one, it is my niche blogs that do it for me. As I write this post I have not even been ranked by Google yet but according to my statcounter the Google bots have been crawling the blog a few times a day! So I know that it has been indexed by Google and that is a good first step.

One of the major keys to having a good popular blog is to write for a niche group of people. If you have a hobby start a blog that covers that hobby. Don't write a blog about tech stuff if you don't know anything about it. Don't write a blog that is simply geared to make money blogging there are too many out there like that (this is one of those too many). If you don't know if your subject will be popular just make a blog and see. Don't forget to get a statcounter to load on your blog so you can see if you are getting any visitors.

There is a good video lesson plan that shows you how to write, market and make money from niche blogs. Don't be fooled by the title because is sounds like one of those get quick rich scams (I wish they had picked a better title but they had to pick the one they have to get high rankings with keywords - you'll learn all about that too) It is called Blogging for Riches

Another blogger has also a great lesson plan on his blog and it is free (my favorite price) but he does mention having several hundred blogs to make money. You can check out his lesson plan and see if you can use parts of it to promote your own blog. His blog is Making money for beginners. You have to scroll down the blog a bit, the lesson plan links are on the right.

I hope that is enough to get you started in the right direction.

No comments: